Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Credit Ratings

Credit Ratings Issues of credit ratings and credit scoring here.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:32 PM

Default How to improve credit without parents help (for students)?

I've been doing my research online and a lot of advice for college students and recent grads is for students to piggy back off of parents credit.

This isn't an option for me, so I opened up a student credit card (limit: $1,000) during junior year in college. I pay my bills on time, and charge about $200-300 on my credit card every month (but pay it off when my bill is due).

Since then, my credit score is high 600s or low 700s depending on which agency I use for my credit scoring (I recently learned there's two different ways credit is scored).

How can I improve my credit score?

Old Sponsors
Old 03-19-2012, 10:07 AM

Default Re: How to improve credit without parents help (for students)?

Time, making payments on time and keeping your balance low.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:41 AM

Smile Re: How to improve credit without parents help (for students)?

Check if your bank offers a credit card for students. The typical student card has a very low limit, but if you are careful to pay it off every month, you will build credit quickly. There's no need to limit this card for emergencies only you should use it, but only if you can pay off your balance in full every month.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:19 AM

you can improve your credit card rate by on time payment. and to avoid using lots of credit cards which you do not use.

"The investor of today does not profit from yesterday's growth."

Old 08-15-2012, 02:58 PM

You are totally on the right track. High 600's low 700's is very decent credit. The best credit scores just come with having a long (good) credit history, which can only come with time and age. (which is why you NEVER want to close a credit card, because the date of opening will go towards you credit length which is an important credit rating factor)

I would call you current credit card company and ask them if they will give you a credit increase. That could potentially help your score. You may also want to open a second card. 2 is just fine, you don't need more than that, continue to do the same with the second card as you have been with the first.

There are 3 major credit bureaus, equifax, experian, and transunion. Some creditors use only 1 some use all 3. The score that most creditors/business will use to qualify you is a FICO score. (this is not the score that most people see when they personally pull there credit).

You're doing everything right, right now. Keep it up. Congrats!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:19 AM

Here are Some Tips to Improve Consumer Credit:

1. Have a look at your stock situation, don't afraid of your billing status and make a list of what you actually owe.
2. Make sure if you have gotten too much debt or not. If your answer is yes then it may be getting you into financial trouble.
3. Stop using credit cards and use debit cards instead of it so that the payment comes straight out of your bank account.
4. Give your credit card some credit if your credit card debt has been a problem in the past.
5. Even if you have to use credit card then charge only what you can pay in full within 30 days.

LifeShelter: A UK Leading Life Insurance Company

Old 02-07-2013, 05:54 AM

"The investor of today does not profit from yesterday's growth."