Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Investments

Investments Discussions and questions about stock market investments, tax free savings, and high interest savings accounts.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:37 PM

Default Index, Mutual Funds and Stocks

Which is better and why? Please list your personal experiences with all of them

Old Sponsors
Old 05-16-2013, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Index, Mutual Funds and Stocks

It's really all a big gamble with either option. You can chase the market, follow the world news, and try to make assumptions or guesses on how the market will move. However, interest rates can rise or fall overnight, and you can gain or lose in seconds or a day.

I set my allocation contributions, in my retirement fund, based on educated guesses and a little luck of the draw. I invest in all the above in different percentages. As long as you have a diversified portfolio, your exposure to risk is reduced (even when the market is falling - you'll fall softer).

Old 05-17-2013, 01:41 AM

Index and mutual funds both has its own advantage and disadvantages.But I like index fund because they charge less and most of the time outperform managed shares.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:42 AM

I am not much familiar with these terms but I heard that systematic investment plan is a good option to invest money. In SIP, you can invest a fixed amount in mutual funds step-by-step monthly or quarterly over a period of time. In this way averaging out your expense of contributing and profiting by the force of exacerbating.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:03 PM

Assuming everything else is equal (which it seldom is!), an index offers greater diversity and (possibly) lower volatility than a single stock.

A single stock, on the other hand, can be easier to analyze from an investment perspective.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:45 AM

I'd choose Index Funds as well, especially if you're starting.

Anyway, aside from that I also invest in individual stocks. I'm a VERY lazy long-term investment kinda guy so I mostly do extensive research a few times on good companies before investing for the long term. So far, I'm getting good enough returns from all of them (not super exciting, but not depressing either).

Old 02-19-2019, 01:55 PM

We need to be very careful with investment on these since a mistake can ALWAYS create massive problem. So, that’s where we need to be extremely wise and ready for the challenge. I am forever ready and I find it easier with broker like FreshForex, as they are forever supportive with stuff like 101% Tradable Deposit Bonus, which is easier to use and allows one to trade with great confidence.