Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Credit Ratings

Credit Ratings Issues of credit ratings and credit scoring here.

Old 05-12-2006, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Default Have you ever been refused credit?

A few years ago I went to buy a new washing machine. Despite having an income, I had no debt andno real credit score with it. I was embarrassed enough that I was refused a HP agreement, but even more embarrassed when I had to ask my mum to buy it in her name, and pay her off over two months.

Old Sponsors
Old 05-14-2006, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Have you ever been refused credit?

No I've not been refused but its ironic that you need debt to get credit. I have a lot of debt so people offer me a lo of credit!

Old 05-17-2006, 04:26 PM

Back in college I had horrible credit, but many years later I now have good credit. It's funny to have lived on both sides of the fence. By the way, I prefer the one I'm in now if you're wondering.

Old 05-17-2006, 04:29 PM

I have to admit I've been refused credit a few years ago when I returned from serving in the forces... because I'd been at a BFPO address they didn't class it as a real address and therefore you couldn't get credit from some companies... I have to admit it did cause me a few problems for a few years.

Corty

Old 05-19-2006, 09:48 AM

I was refused credit for the exact same reason some years ago. In order to have credit I had to build up debt. And we wonder why everyone is so in debt. It's almost as if they try to train you to have bad credit. (And they probably do, since that way you have to pay much higher interest rates to buy anything).

Old 05-20-2006, 05:10 AM

i had a friend who was accepted for credit cards no problem but got refused for a shop loyalty card! weird!!

Old 05-21-2006, 07:46 PM

maybe because she had a number of credit cards her credit had added up to a certain amount on which they based the idea that she didnt need more ?

Old 05-29-2006, 11:18 PM

Because of late payments, my credit score was lower than Dell wanted for me to be able to take advantage of "no interest" offers. *sigh* And it seems the only way to get my score up is to aquire debt and pay it off. another *sigh*

Old 06-18-2006, 03:40 PM

Nope. But I am really careful. I do a lot of switching between low interest rate offers because I have some debt from a medical bill so I have to really pay attention.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:49 PM

Actually here in the United States it is too easy to get credit, which is why so many people are in credit card debt. I get solicitations all the time.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:19 PM

I don't know if this is the same thing but because of my credit I was refused rental of a house and an apartment when we recently had to move. My husband has no credit what so ever and he got appoved immediately.

Old Sponsors
Old 07-07-2006, 02:57 PM

I think a lot of parents are helping their kids establish (and in some cases re-establish) credit. If credit were a little harder to get it might be treated with more respect initially.

Debt is a harsh task master.

Old 07-15-2006, 06:11 PM

I started out not wanting credit cards of any sort then when I got my first one I had to have more. Then saved my rear when I had them but now I'm in debt from the Deep Beyond and don't see anyway out short of a money windfall. I am planning on saving up the money to pay some off in full since they are not that much but the others...well, .

Now I'm back to my old motto, If I don't have the money for it in my pocket when I see it then I don't need it.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:21 PM

I have never personally been refused credit - but then I rarely ask for it. I'd much rather pay for it and have it all mine than pay later when it's worth half as much and I wind up paying twice as much to the creditor. I'm weird that way.

Old 07-22-2006, 07:53 AM

I have been refused credit because I am disabled and not working....also I dont have any other cards...it seems to me that to get credit you have to be up to your eyeballs in debt to prove you can pay!