Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Credit Ratings

Credit Ratings Issues of credit ratings and credit scoring here.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:59 AM

Default Value of credit rating

In this world of "must by now" wouldn't it be more valuable to not even need a credit rating. In other words, how about we teach everyone how to save for what they want instead of improving their credit rating so that they can borrow to get it?

Too simple?

Old Sponsors
Old 06-20-2006, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Value of credit rating

It's fiscally responsible, yet it may not be practical in purchasing something like a home. If you don't have a good credit rating, you can't get a home mortgage. Current credit ideals leave a lot to be desired, but they also leave the end user in a catch 22. If they pay outright for everything they purchase and then need credit for something - they likely would be refused, because they have no history to prove their trustworthiness in repayment.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:24 PM

But that would put tons of people out of a job! LOL...I agree. Cash only is the best way. Unfortunately it's not the way most go.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:36 PM

And because they know this - they aren't too afraid of those of us pounding the drum of fiscal responsibility. There's a whole lot more money invested in breeding a feeling of discontent through advertising - and there's always someone willing to pay money they don't have for things they don't really need using credit they shouldn't have.

Last edited by Benji; 06-27-2006 at 02:39 PM.

Old 06-26-2006, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji
and there's always someone willing to pay money they don't have for thigns they don't really need using credit they shouldn't have.
I like that, and it is sooooo true.

If people just set aside a "house payment" each month in an interest bareing account then they would be able to buy a house before they new it. Then if they started small and only traded up as the money would allow . . .

How I wish someone had taught us all this when my husband and I were starting out.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:44 AM

The trouble is, it's not always easy to save for what you need.

When we moved up to Scotland, we found there was no way we could keep driving around in the existing car, as the kiddie car seats made everything much too cramped, so we looked to buy an MPV.

As I know nothing about cars, I had no idea as to how to tell if a second hand car was a good purchase or not, and frankly I was frightened by the risk - especially after nearly signing for one by a reputable dealerships that despite being 2 years old had more rust under the chasis than our ten year old motor. So we figured on a brand new MPV but we certainly couldn't save £18k quickly, but even then, I did put £5k in cash to make the loan smaller and more manageable.

Also - as I'm looking for my first mortgage soon, I figured a loan was a good way to help with increasing my credit rating, just in case of help when applying for a mortgage.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:11 AM

If we could only save before we needed the money then what a wonderful world this would be. I know if (and the key here is if) my husband and I had been saving BEFORE we had kids and while we were both working instead of spending money like it was going to spoil then we wouldn't have to worry to day. See, I told you "if" was the key.

Last edited by kelkat; 07-05-2006 at 09:16 AM.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji
It's fiscally responsible, yet it may not be practical in purchasing something like a home. If you don't have a good credit rating, you can't get a home mortgage. Current credit ideals leave a lot to be desired, but they also leave the end user in a catch 22. If they pay outright for everything they purchase and then need credit for something - they likely would be refused, because they have no history to prove their trustworthiness in repayment.
So true, My brother needed a co-signer on his house and he was horribly embarrassed since he had a excellent history of paying debts but no real credit trail.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:11 PM

I agree, it would be great if we could pay for purchases with cash. But the credit card companies, and loan companies would never allow this to happen. I read an article recently about how much personal debt has exploded since the credit card came on the market.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:20 PM

It is scary how valuable a credit rating is. I worked in a high-end car dealer several years back, and I was continually stunned by the people who had high credit ratings but not the highest incomes still qualifying and buying cars they could not really afford.

Sure they worked hard to get that credit rating, but then they blow it all on a car they can't afford and in two years their credit will be ruined.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:35 AM

I think I figured out the value of a great credit (I mean near perfect) rating. You qualify for all the no interest promotions that most companies have. Then it is to your benefit to buy on credit (if you have the money in the bank to pay it off later) and let your money stay in the bank and earn interest. Make sure if you do this that there is no prepayment penalties.

Old Sponsors
Old 09-14-2010, 06:49 AM

Hi,

I'm an MT and currently working on a scoring model which help me find efficient credit limits for my company. I wonder what important criteria (e.g operational activity years, # of employees, financial ratios, market reputation of the customer) should be when you decide a good scoring model. Could you give me some spesific criteria in details?

Thanks,
Varkal