Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Fraud & Scams

Fraud & Scams Discussion about how to detect and avoid fraud, investment schemes, internet scams, consumer ripoffs, con jobs, forex scams and identity theft.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:49 AM

Question Can you cancel a money transfer that has been done over the internet?

Hi
Does anyone know the answer? I bought something off ebay and paid cash of 1500 - the product is not what it was advertised as and is no good to me.
The seller has advised i can take it back and he will do a money transfer into my bank acount then and there.
Once he has done this is there any way he can cancel it afterwards? Also, how will i know if he has insufficient funds in his account to cover it - if not would it bounce as a cheque would?
Thanks xxx

Old Sponsors
Old 10-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Can you cancel a money transfer that has been done over the internet?

If the seller has a decent rating then most likely he will honor the return.

The great thing about ebay is that if he doesn't return your money after you sent back the product, you can report him to ebay. Ebay can put pressure on him to honor the return or lose his ability to sell things on ebay.

I doubt he wants to have this sort of trouble.

It IS possible to cancel a wire transfer after you initiate it, but if he waits too long to cancel then it does go past a point of no-return and it will go through.

If he initiates a wire transfer he must have the money in their first.. so insufficient funds shouldn't be an issue.

Have you already sent back the product?

Please let us know how it goes...

Old 10-20-2010, 07:07 AM

Default Re: Can you cancel a money transfer that has been done over the internet?

You may be right that would want to keep his right to sell things on ebay but maybe if the value of this sale is large enough he may not care...

Also, what's to stop him setting up another account in a different name besides losing any positive history?

Old 10-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

If it is a scam, then there are steps that Annie can take to get her money back somehow.

Annie should be getting in touch with Ebay and find out what her rights/options are, just in case.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:57 AM

As ebay is a mediator, and if the seller has a greater reputation then you do not need to worry it about. Otherwise, firstly contact the ebay and tell them that you are returning the product and asking for a refund so that they will do their best. And you must check on seller's account, if he has a refund policy. Sometimes seller does have a non-refunding policy and that may make you loose your money. better you contact ebay regarding your product and let them know you need a refund. As an intermediator, they will do their best to return your money.
Regards,
Akkithedude

Old 11-04-2010, 02:11 PM

Because this is Ebay there are two situations Annie should deal with. The first is getting her money back. The advice given thus far is correct so I'm not going to regurgitate it here.

The second step is the feedback step. Even if the money is returned, Annie should consider that the product was what was advertised. In any business this is a sin, even more so on Ebay. This alone warrants negative feedback in my opinion. Ebay works because users police it and the bad actors get exposed through negative feedback.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:02 PM

Paypal is a service purportedly vulnerable to a certain dynamic.

A friend did not want to use it, because the receiving party may claim that the merchandise had not arrived.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:41 AM

That really seems an informative point! how to get your money back as it happened many times.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:56 AM

yes that information is very useful. How can we safe over money even hackers ? Is possible we get back money online even send to a third person ?

Dubai Property Sell Buy Rent Properties in UAE Dubai Real Estate & Homes

Old 02-15-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBibby View Post
If it is a scam, then there are steps that Annie can take to get her money back somehow.

Annie should be getting in touch with Ebay and find out what her rights/options are, just in case.
I agree with this. I have tried to buy stuff from ebay myself and has put total trust to my favorite sellers. The reason being that I feel comfortable spending online (and not worrying about money backs) is that i have totally created a good business relationship with them. Try to find sellers with high ratings and do communicate with them regulsrly re: your items bought.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:25 AM

Ebaying can be fun, accessible, convenient, and sometimes cheaper too. These are a few reasons why people transact with ebay. However, do be very careful of scams. They also lurk around the net as well.

Old Sponsors
Old 05-24-2012, 01:03 AM

I must say this post is very useful for all those who do online shopping. Here good advice for them that how to get back money if the product is rejected and what type of problem they can face.
I like to thanks all for great post and wonderful advice.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:19 AM

We have opened an account with International Online Money Transfers with Fundfone and Fundfone Instant Money Transfer Service they are really good for transferring money between UK and Aus. More help For Just go to the website and register to contact Fundfone that Depending on your institution the funds can take anywhere between 15 minutes and 3 business days for cleared funds to be made available.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:55 AM

Please post some relevant Questions.