Go Back   The Finance Forums > Finance forums > Investments

Investments Discussions and questions about stock market investments, tax free savings, and high interest savings accounts.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:27 AM

Default Long Term Growth

I have just recently begun learning about investing in stocks and have what is proving to be a difficult question, although I am sure it really isn't.

I am having trouble finding data for long term growth earnings over a period of years for any company. I have taken a liking to Google Finance but I can't seem to find where it might be.

An example of what I am looking for is Company XYZ has been growing its earnings at 9% a year.

Can anybody point me in the right direction to where on Google Finance I would find this information?

Thanks,

Matt

Old Sponsors
Old 03-26-2008, 05:18 AM

Default Re: Long Term Growth

I haven't used Google finance, but you can always request a prospectus from the companies you are looking at and often they will have information available on their web site that a company investment relations officer can direct you to.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:22 AM

Getting familiar with a company's website is probably a great idea, important announcements and recordings of meetings are often posted

Something that I find helpful is looking for articles on recent growth of a specific industry as a whole
But if you find historic data on consolidated on a single website I wanna know too!

Old 09-15-2008, 06:49 AM
The Finance Forums

Best choice is the company's website. Also maybe a good idea would be yahoo finance. Did you try to google what you look for?

Old 09-16-2008, 12:26 AM

Ok MSN Finance has all the information that you are going to want, they have generally the past ten years for EPS, Equity, Sales, Cash flow, insider trading, ROIC, these I call the big 5 and you can get a very good idea of a companies balance sheet by calculating the 10, 5 and 1 year averages for all of these (ROIC is already done for you on the site).

This is the site I use, its fantastic, and you can even get a calculator that you can download so you can just plug in the numbers and it does the calculations for you, Find "Phil townes Rule #1" website and sign up with the site (Just a free thing like signing up for this forum) and you can find a link on there to download his calculator, or you can just use his online one. Hope that helps, good luck man.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:34 PM
The Finance Forums

Its great that you are looking for the information, just make sure you know as much as you possibly can before you invest.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:07 AM

Before you put your money into the stock market, you should first lean how the stock market works. Second try to make investment picks using fake money before actually using your real money. Third, gather all the information you can from a company before you invest. Lear about the sector it is involved and the business it is involved.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:24 AM

Yah that is a really good way to learn initial, using fake money that is, but the key to this learning experience is you must do your due diligence just the same as if it was your own real money. And not just throw it into anything and everything, you'll learn nothing that way. A Good site to do this in my opinion is Investopedia. Where they start you off with $100, 000 of funny money. As well its a great site for beginners to learn.

Enjoy!

Old 10-06-2008, 06:27 AM

To be honest, I'd recommend using real money - I found my strategy changed massively between using pretend money, and using real money with real potential loss.

I think the main key is not so much an historical track of earnings, as much as just keep watching the market you're looking to invest in, watch the main companies that are getting your attention, and get a feel for their situation in the now and how their long term trend may develop.

2c.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:50 AM

I think you should read some easy to understand books first and get a grasp on things. I personally invest some with "real money" but it is an amount I am willing to lose. So if something happens, I'm not out on the streets. I also play fantasy stocks, kinda like fantasy football, using Stock Market Game - Practice Investing $1,000,000 - Beat the market and earn real money - UpDown.com I use it mostly to test ideas to see if I'm making smart moves and to test my understanding. It also allows me to have fun playing the market game. If you win, you don't get real money but if you lose, you don't lose any money either. Although, if you do well, you can win prizes including money.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:04 PM

Wink Re: Long Term Growth

your money can definently grow with this new investment firm my financial advisor put me into doubles your money every 4.5 yrs and they also allow you to roll over retirement plans.

Old Sponsors
Old 01-17-2009, 04:35 PM

Yes, but that was for a hedge fund, and whatever their claims, hedge funds are getting wiped out at the moment!

Old 10-18-2019, 04:03 AM

Guys, what do you think about sports betting? Is it a legit thing? I found predictions on https://livescores.biz and those seem to be accurate so I thought about trying to use them

Old 11-16-2019, 03:31 PM

We need to be extremely careful with how we go about doing everything, as if we are wise with how we go about approaching everything, it will help us with working. I always plan carefully and it makes it easier with tight money/risk management. This is where my broker FreshForex helps with their wonderful 200% Deposit Bonus, it’s superb in so many ways.